Ardmore Pedestrian Killed in Accident
Alabama State Troopers are reporting that a pedestrian was killed Thursday in a hit-and-run accident on Highway 251 in Limestone County. Officials have release the name of the victim, Charles Wayne Gates, 69, of Ardmore. Apparently, the victim was struck by a 2014 Kia driven by Deborah Cunningham Scott, 53, of Toney, Alabama. The accident is still under investigation by the Alabama State Troopers. Authorities believe that Deborah Scott left the scene of the accident.
Pedestrian Accident Facts
Pedestrians are one of the few groups of road users to experience an increase in fatalities in the United States in 2013, totaling 4,735 deaths. Did you know that 2015 was one of the most dangerous years for pedestrian deaths in the United States. In Alabama:
• Hundreds of pedestrians are injured each year in Alabama.
• Furthermore, discrepancies between hospital records and police reports suggest that even this figure might even be too optimistic.
• Even more disturbingly, a studies suggest that the driver is at fault in over 60 percent of pedestrian accidents.
What can a driver do to prevent pedestrian accidents:
• Slow down.
• Be aware of your surroundings, especially in
residential areas, school zones or shopping
centers. Watch for pedestrians (especially
children) on the side of the road; be prepared
for unpredictable behavior.
• Before turning, look for other vehicles,
pedestrians and bicyclists.
• Yield to pedestrians.
• When turning right on red, come to a complete
stop and scan for all traffic, including pedestrians
• Watch for persons walking or running
along the road, especially in the absence
• Drive alert and focused.
• Use extra caution driving at night.
(information provided by NHTSA)
If you have a loved one who has been injured or killed as a pedestrian in Alabama, you need to talk to an experienced pedestrian accident attorney. If you have questions, and do not know who to turn to, call Ferguson and Ferguson Attorneys. We are available 24/7 to speak to you on the phone. We are experienced and knowledgeable pedestrian and wrongful death lawyers and we can help you get financial compensation for your loss.