FORKLIFT ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
We can help you in Huntsville, Madison, Decatur, Morgan, Lawrence, Athens, and Limestone Counties and the surrounding areas.
It may seem like forklift accidents in a industrial setting are a rare occurrence, but forklift accidents happen on a daily basis. Forklifts (lift trucks) are commonly used in factories, warehouses, and construction sites to load and transport heavy materials. Forklifts are a commonly used piece of industrial equipment, and are also a common cause of industrial accidents resulting in personal injury and even death. From 2011 to 2017, there were more than 60,000 forklift-related injuries and 614 forklift-related fatalities in the U.S. That’s more than 8,500 injuries per year and more than 1.6 fatalities per week. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), an average of 100 fatal forklift accidents occur in the United States every year. An additional 34,900 forklift-related incidents result in serious injury. More than 40% of forklift deaths involve vehicle tip-overs, and a quarter occur when a worker is crushed between the vehicle and another object. Manufacturing accounts for nearly 43% of all forklift accident deaths reported to OSHA every year. Forklifts are a commonly used piece of industrial equipment, and are also a common cause of industrial accidents resulting in property damage, injury or even death. Forklifts must be handled with utmost caution for surrounding workers. There have been numerous forklift injuries and deaths in Decatur, Huntsville and Athens, Alabama in 2021.
Causes of Alabama Forklift Accidents
There are a number of different reasons forklift accidents happen. Some common causes of forklift accidents include:
- Operator inattention and/or inexperience
- Lack of operator training
- Defective, faulty or poorly maintained machinery
- Lack of hazard warnings or markings
- Excessive speed
- Improper turns
- Unstable and/or elevated load/forklift loses its load
- Dangerously laid-out workplace
- Driving the forklift while the load is raised
- The forklift tips over
- The forklift hits or runs over co-workers and pedestrians
- The forklift falls off loading docks
- Pressure to meet tight timelines
- Failure to follow proper safety measures
- Lack of warning signs
- Operators who speed or engage in horseplay on the machines
- If construction site forklifts do not have a falling objects protection system, operators may be injured due to falling debris.
- Back-up collisions may occur.
- Workers may be struck by a forklift or they may fall while standing on raised pallets.
- Age of the forklift
- Workplace factors such as narrow aisles, high traffic in the work area, and obstructions
- Overloading beyond the weight limit
What Are Common Types of Forklift Accidents?
Some of the most common types of Alabama forklift accidents include:
- Getting run over or struck by a forklift
- Being hit or crushed by merchandise falling off a forklift
- Getting caught or compressed between objects
- Roadway incidents with motor vehicles
- Falling off a forklift
- Forklift tip over or roll over
Forklift Accident Injuries
If you or a loved one sustain injuries in a forklift accident in Alabama, you and your loved ones have a right to be compensated for your injuries. Many of the injuries we see include the following:
- Catastrophic injuries
- Broken bones
- Degloving injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Wrongful death
- Soft tissue injuries
- Hip injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Broken ribs
- Internal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Penetration injuries
If someone other than your workers compensation company is responsible for damages, you can recover from a negligent third party including all of the following:
- Another contractor on the site
- A subcontractor
- The developer
- The manufacturer of the equipment that injured you
- The property owner of the site
Damages You Can Recover
Personal injury attorney Randy W. Ferguson is an experienced personal injury lawyer with a long track record of obtaining for clients the liability and accountability they deserve. An individual who negligently injures you may be liable for a wide variety of damages that an accident can cause, including but not limited to the following:
- Disability and Disfigurement
- Loss of Consortium
- Medical Bills
- Future Medical Costs
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Earning Capacity
- Mental and Emotional Distress
- Out of Pocket Expenses
- Pain and Suffering
- Rehabilitative care
- Medical devices (crutches, wheelchairs)
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Wrongful Death
- Disability and Disfigurement
Who Can Be Held Liable in Alabama?
Liability for forklift injuries can be complicated, as construction sites, stores and industrial sites have a lot of moving parts and noise that can easily confuse workers about the order of events involved in an injury. However, a few key players can be highlighted to determine
- The Operator.
- The Foreman or Supervisor.
- The Manufacturer.
- A Third-Party.
How Are We Different Than Other Forklift Accident Lawyers
The law offices of Ferguson and Ferguson takes pride in giving each client individual and personal attention.
- We are from North Alabama, not an out of state or Birmingham law firm that acts like their local.
- You talk to personal injury attorneys, not secretaries.
- We are committed to excellent client service.
- Our fees are lower because we don’t have to pay huge television and billboard costs.
- We care about our clients, and have patience.
- Free phone consultation 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays.
- Free office consultation as late as 7 p.m. and Saturdays also.
- Locations near you.
- We answer all our clients calls, or return them promptly.
- We keep our clients informed of the status of their case.
- We make sure that our clients understand each step of their case.
- We have great compassion for the physical, emotional, and financial problems that our clients suffered, and will do everything possible to get them through their difficult time.
- We handle the estate and getting you appointed as the administrator. We do not ship you off to some other law firm to set up the estate
- Not afraid to go to court like many of the billboard and television attorneys. We’ll do whatever it takes to win your case.
- No fee if no recover. You pay no expenses unless we win your case
- Proven track record in winning wrongful death cases.
Free Case Review
Have you been injured in a forklift accident and need help from an experienced forklift accident attorney? Our experienced lawyers are here to provide you with a free, no-obligation case consultation at your convenience. Making the decision to hire a lawyer is an important choice that takes careful consideration. If you need a accident lawyer in Huntsville, AL, call or email us today. Our consultations are free. We can visit you or your loved one at a hospital, residence, or workplace. Some accident lawyers, due to their lack of skill or resources, may not pursue all claims and compensation available to you. If you have been a victim of a forklift accident, do not hesitate to call our skilled and experienced car accident attorneys in Huntsville and Decatur, AL for a free assessment of your situation. Call now 256-350-7200 or 256-534-3435.
Huntsville Office Location:
303 Williams Avenue SW
Huntsville, AL 35801
Decatur Office Location:
211 Oak Street NE
Decatur, AL 35601