Drug Offense Defense Attorneys Near Me
Drug Trafficking Defense Lawyers Near Me
We can help you in Huntsville, Decatur and Athens, AL and the surrounding areas.
The law offices of Ferguson and Ferguson have been helping individuals charged with drug crimes for over 45 combined years. Our Alabama drug crimes defense attorneys represent clients accused of drug and narcotics charges throughout the state. We have defended thousands of misdemeanor and felony drug crimes in Alabama. Whether you’re charged with large-scale drug trafficking or simple possession of a controlled substance, we are here to help you with your drug offenses. We offer a no obligation, FREE CONSULTATION to all clients charged with a crime. Call 256-534-3435 or 256-350-7200. We are here to help.
Some Examples of Narcotic Cases we Defend are:
- Prescription Drugs
- Possession of Controlled Substance
- Drug Trafficking: To be drug trafficking in Alabama, the accused person needs to have either sold, delivered, or transported into Alabama over:
2.2 pounds of marijuana 28 grams of cocaine, four grams of morphine or heroin, 28 grams of methamphetamine, or four grams of LSD 500-1,000 pills. Drug trafficking has a minimum three year sentence day for day in Alabama.
Drug trafficking laws and penalties in Alabama
In general, trafficking is the movement of drugs over state lines or the importation or exportation of substantial quantities of drugs into or out of the United States. Solely exchanging or selling any quantity or kind of illegal drugs is regarded as trafficking. Although the consequences for drug trafficking do vary depending on the kind and quantity of narcotics involved, you could be given the following sentences:
- 3 years in jail or life in prison
- fines of more than $50,000
- Parole or Probation
- forfeiture of private property
Drug trafficking may be charged in state court for possession of the following:
- Four grams or more of phencyclidine (PCP)
- Four grams or more of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
- Four grams or more of morphine or opium
- 500 or more pills or capsules of hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- 28 grams or more of 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA)
- 28 grams or more of methamphetamine (meth)
- 28 grams or more of cocaine or crack
- More than 1 kilo or 2.2 pounds of marijuana
A Huntsville or Decatur arrest for drug possession, drug sale, or narcotics use can result in a prison sentence, jail time, hefty fines, rehabilitation programs, and other stiff penalties. Your Alabama drug defense attorney may be able to reduce the penalties or even have the case dismissed by doing the following:
- Have the evidence against you thrown out of court. If you were searched and evidence was collected against you, it must have been done according to the law. If the method by which law enforcement personnel carried out the search of your property and the conduction of the 7 panel drug test was illegal, the evidence against you cannot be used in court.
- If this is your first offense you could be eligible for a drug court, pretrial diversion, or an alternative sentencing program. You might also qualify to be a youthful offender.
Penalties For Drug Crimes in Alabama
The penalties for possession of illegal drugs in Alabama vary widely. Marijuana charges in Alabama in particular are different from charges for other drugs like cocaine or Methamphetamine. The penalties for possession depend on the type of drug, quantity, age of the offender and whether this is the person’s first offense. For first-time drug possession offenders over 18 years old in Alabama, for example, the penalties include:
- Possession of marijuana (less than 2.2 pounds) – Misdemeanor, up to one year in jail, up to $6,000 fine
- Possession of a controlled substance – Class D Felony, 1 year and 1 day to 5 years in jail
- Possession of marijuana (more than 2.2 pounds) – Class C Felony, 1-10 years in jail, up to $15,000 fine
- Possession of cocaine (less than 28 grams) – Class C Felony, 1-10 years in jail, up to $15,000 fine
- Possession of cocaine (more than 28 grams, less than 500 grams) – Class C Felony, 3 years in jail, up to $50,000 fine
- Possession of Methamphetamine (less than 28 grams) – Class C Felony, 1-10 years in jail, up to $15,000 fine
- Possession of Methamphetamine (more than 28 grams, less than 500 grams) – Class C Felony, 3 years in jail, up to $50,000 fine
- Possession of heroin (less than 4 grams) – Class C Felony, 1-10 years in jail, up to $15,000 fine
Why Hire Criminal Defense Attorneys Ferguson and Ferguson?
Controlled substance crimes are very serious charges and carry life changing consequences. Our defense attorneys (abogados) understand that being accused of a crime is one of the most difficult times of your life. Rely on us to protect your rights and to fight for the most favorable resolution possible.
We do not start your case by believing what the police are saying. Our attorneys want to hear your side of the story. If you or someone you know has been arrested, or is being investigated for a drug crime, you need advice from an experienced Alabama drug offense lawyer. Contact us 24/7 to schedule a FREE consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. We may be able to get your charges reduced or even dismissed altogether. And if necessary, we will champion your case all the way to trial. We have two offices conveniently located in downtown Huntsville and Decatur, Alabama. Call 256-534-3435 or 256-350-7200 now. Let us protect your rights.
Huntsville Office Location:
303 Williams Avenue SW
Huntsville, AL 35801
Decatur Office Location:
211 Oak Street NE
Decatur, AL 35601