Ferguson & Ferguson
Attorneys at Law
Boating is one of the most popular outdoor hobbies in Decatur, Guntersville, Athens and Huntsville, Alabama. Boating and fishing are almost state sports in Alabama. Many people enjoy spending time on their ski boats or fishing boats on the weekend or vacation. And though it is widely considered a fun and relaxing sport, recreational boating and fishing has a dark side. In 2008, boating accidents in the United States resulted in 3,331 injuries and 709 deaths. Waterways are second only to highways in terms of the number of accidental deaths occurring on them.
Causes of Boating Accidents
The main causes of these boating accidents are attributable to the following acts of negligence:
- Excessive speed
- No proper lookout
- Operator inattention
- General carelessness
- Hitting a big wave or wake at an unsafe speed or angle
- Ejections from the boat due to improper operation or deciding to navigate in heavy weather
- Contact with propellers
- Not knowing the navigational rules
- Collisions with other watercraft
- Defective boat design
- Defective boat construction or repair
- Impacting a fixed object, such as a navigational aid, pier or bridge
- Overcrowding & Overloading
Errors can also be caused by government or independent entities such as Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) or the U.S. Core of Engineers. Not surprisingly, excessive alcohol consumption plays a role in 17 percent of boating accidents. Boating accidents involve many different types of watercraft. Open motorboats were responsible for 43 percent of boating accidents, personal watercraft for 23 percent, and cabin motorboats for 15 percent.
Safety Tips to Reduce Risks of Boating Accidents
- Stay sober while operating a boat
- Check the weather forecast before heading out for a boat trip.
- Keep your boat under the maximum capacity
- Keep a floatation device for each passenger on board
- Complete a course on boating safety
- Inspect your boat before you head out
- Be cautious of propeller safety, especially if children are on board
- Keep a fire extinguisher on your boat
Damages You Can Recover
The Law Office Of Ferguson and Ferguson is a experienced boating accident law firm with a long track record of obtaining for clients the compensation and accountability they deserve. An individual who negligently operates a boat may be liable for a wide variety of damages that an accident can cause, including but not limited to the following:
- Disability and Disfigurement
- Loss of Consortium
- Medical Bills
- Lost Wages
- Mental and Emotional Distress
- Out of Pocket Expenses
- Pain and Suffering
- Property Damage
Don’t let an insurance company decide what your personal injury claim is worth, contact us today. It’s our job to get you the money you’re truly owed.
Why Hire Boating Accident Attorneys Ferguson and Ferguson
The law offices of Ferguson and Ferguson takes pride in giving each client individual and personal attention.
- We are committed to excellent client service.
- We care about our clients, and have patience.
- Free phone consultation 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays
- Free office consultation as late as 7 p.m. and Saturdays also
- Locations near you
- We answer all our clients calls, or return them promptly.
- We keep our clients informed of the status of their case.
- We make sure that our clients understand each step of their case.
- We have great compassion for the physical, emotional, and financial problems that our clients suffered, and will do everything possible to get them through their difficult time.
Free Boat Accident Consultation
It is crucial to receive legal advice that can guide you seamlessly through the complexity of maritime law to ensure that the maximum amount of damages available for your case will be retrieved. If you or a family member finds yourself the victim of a boating accident, consult attorneys trained in the rules and regulations governing boating accidents. At Ferguson & Ferguson, our Decatur and Huntsville boat accident lawyers have extensive experience handling boating accident cases. We take every necessary step to investigate the possible causes of your accident so that you receive full compensation for any pain and suffering your boating accident has caused you. If you or someone you know has been the victim of a boating accident, call Ferguson & Ferguson at (256) 350-7200 or 256-534-3435. All initial consultations are free of charge. If we take your case, we work on a contingent-fee basis. That means you pay us only if you receive a monetary reward or recovery of fees. Call us now, because you may have a valid claim entitling you to compensation for the injuries, pain, and suffering a boating accident has caused you. We have offices conveniently located in downtown Decatur and Huntsville, Alabama. We are here to help.
Our boat injury attorneys serve every city and county in the State of Alabama.