Decatur AL Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
We can help you in Madison, Morgan, Lawrence and Limestone Counties and the surrounding areas.
Have you or a loved one been seriously injured or killed while walking in Alabama? Approximately 5,000 pedestrians are killed every year in the United States. If you have been seriously injured by a negligent driver while walking along the streets of Birmingham, Huntsville or Decatur, Alabama, it is of utmost importance to call a pedestrian accident attorney now. Randy Ferguson is a pedestrian accident lawyer, and offers no obligation, FREE CONSULTATIONS to all pedestrian accident victims. We also offer the only Lowest Fee Guarantee in Alabama. We know you have questions. Let our team help cut through the red tape and get you the compensation you deserve. Call 256-534-3435 or 1-800-752-1998 for immediate assistance from one of our attorneys. We are here to help.
Alabama Pedestrian Laws
Alabama has several right-of-way laws that apply to pedestrians. These laws exist to protect vulnerable pedestrians. A number of pedestrian versus vehicle collisions in Alabama occur because motorists fail to follow these laws.
- Motorists must never drive on sidewalks that are designated as safe routes for pedestrians.
- Drivers must stop and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians who are crossing in marked or unmarked crosswalks or at intersections. Motorists should wait when other vehicles are stopped at a crosswalk. Vehicles that are stopped may be letting pedestrians cross.
- Motorists must also stop and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other vehicles especially when pulling out parking lots or driveways.
- Motorists must allow older, younger and disabled pedestrians ample time to cross the road.
- Even when a pedestrian is walking outside a crosswalk, a motorist is expected to exercise due caution.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Every accident involving a pedestrian is different, and the extent of injuries suffered will vary between cases. The most common types of injuries we deal with on a daily basis includes the following:
- Broken bones
- Burns and scarring
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries
- Joint, muscle, back, neck, and bone injuries
- Brain injuries
- Knee injuries
- Permanent disability
- Wrongful death
- Internal injuries
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian can be injured by a wide range of factors, from improperly designed intersections to inattentive driving. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Driver inattentiveness: Speaking on a cell phone, texting, eating or drinking while driving, changing the radio station, programming a GPS, putting on makeup and many other activities can distract a driver and cause accidents.
- Driver confusion: In Huntsville, many drivers are unfamiliar with the city roads and one-way streets. When drivers are trying to read a map or street signs, they can overlook pedestrians and cause serious accidents.
- Aggressive driving: Violating traffic signals and signs, right-of-way violations, incidents of road rage, improper turning and unsafe speeds are among the top causes of pedestrian accidents.
- Dangerous intersections: Sometimes the design of the intersection itself causes or contributes to the accident.
- Walkers confusion: jaywalking, or crossing in the middle of the street, outside of a crosswalk
- Violating Laws: crossing against the traffic signal (i.e. in the crosswalk but against a red “Do Not Walk” command)
- Drinking Alcohol: entering a street or highway while intoxicated, and
- Walking Roadways: walking along highways, bridges, or causeways where pedestrian access is prohibited.
Damages Recoverable for Serious Pedestrian Injuries
If you suffered a serious injury or your loved one was tragically killed in a pedestrian accident, you may be able to file a lawsuit to collect monetary compensation for the damages associated with your injury or loss, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost earnings and wages
- Impaired earning capacity
- Life care costs
- Occupational rehabilitation
- Loss of relations
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Punitive damages in wrongful death cases.
PEDESTRIAN INJURY STATISTICS
Pedestrians traffic accidents occur nearly 215 times a day. Nearly 70% of pedestrian fatalities are men. Confusion, talking on the phone, texting, eating and inattention are the two main reasons that accidents take place. Males have a high occurrence of accidents, along with young people, smaller children, of course, and then the elderly.
In 2011, 4,432 pedestrians were killed and an estimated 69,000 were injured in traffic crashes in the United States. On average, a pedestrian was killed every two hours and injured every eight minutes in traffic crashes. In 2011, pedestrian deaths accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities, and made up 3 percent of all the people injured in traffic crashes.
This year, if the statistics are any indication at all, another 70,000 pedestrians will be injured in traffic-related accidents, and 5,000 more will die. We also know from statistics that nearly half of those deaths will occur between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m., when our children are on their way home from school.
Why Hire Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Ferguson and Ferguson
The law offices of Ferguson and Ferguson takes pride in giving each client individual and personal attention.
- We are committed to excellent client service.
- We care about our clients, and have patience.
- Free phone consultation 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays
- Free office consultation as late as 7 p.m. and Saturdays also
- Locations near you
- We answer all our clients calls, or return them promptly.
- We keep our clients informed of the status of their case.
- We make sure that our clients understand each step of their case.
- We have great compassion for the physical, emotional, and financial problems that our clients suffered, and will do everything possible to get them through their difficult time.
Our seasoned pedestrian accident attorneys have already handled thousands of cases involving pedestrians. If you or someone you love is injured in a pedestrian related accident, call Ferguson & Ferguson. Call 256-534-3435 or 800-752-1998. We offer free consultations. We are here to help.