Ferguson & Ferguson
Attorneys at Law
People of all ages are at risk of falling in a hospital, rehabilitation facility and nursing facility. Most falls that occur in hospitals by patients in their care are completely preventable by the hospital medical staff. If you or a loved one has been injured in a fall at a hospital, a proper investigation needs to be performed to determine the reason for the accident. Call us today if you or a loved one have been victim to a hospital fall and we will advise you on your rights, free of charge and with no obligation. Call 256-534-3435. We can help.
Causes of Hospital Falls in Alabama
Hospital falls in Alabama can happen for many different reasons. Some of the reasons for hospital falls and injuries include the following:
- The hospital is understaffed.
- The hospital staff fails to identify the patient as “at-risk” for falling.
- The patient is taking medications that cause dizziness, drowsiness, or loss of balance.
- The patient has undergone orthopedic (hip replacement, etc.) or back surgery.
- The patient is out of bed too quickly after procedure (early ambulation)
- The patient becomes lightheaded.
- The patient is not transferred properly from table to bed or bed to table
- Patient is not assessed, or incorrectly assessed, properly as a “fall risk” during the intake procedure or stay
- Proper equipment for mobility. Walkers, wheelchairs and other devices not available to prevent falls.
- Transfer assistance. Many falls happen when the patient is transferring from one place to the next, such as exiting the bed to use the bathroom or bedside toilet
- Fall precautions, policies and procedures are simply not in place or not followed
- Nurse call systems not in working order and within reach of the patient.
- Bed rails not functioning properly
- Alarms. Nursing staff not having alarms in place in case a patient who should not be moving tries to leave their bed.
If you or a loved one suffers a serious injury or death as a result of a hospital fall, you should speak to a experienced hospital fall injury lawyer regarding your rights. We provide free consultations and you do not pay anything unless we win your case. We understand that hospital falls are preventable, and we will battle medical facilities in court to get you the compensation you deserve. Our personal injury and wrongful death lawyers help clients seek maximum compensation after a serious fall. Call 256-534-3435. We can help.