Ferguson & Ferguson
Attorneys at Law
Did you know that in the State of Alabama it is illegal to possess any controlled substance listed in the state’s Schedules I through V, or to get such a substance by fraud, deceit or misrepresentation. The prohibited drugs include many common prescription drugs, such as:
- Oxycodone (Oxycontin, Percodan and Percocet)
- Opium, morphine, methadone and related drugs (such as Dilaudid)
- Amphetamines and related drugs (including Dexadrine and Desoxyn)
- Tetrahydrocannabinoids (THC), nabilone and dronabilol (Marinol, Cesamet)
- Benzodiazepines (Valium, Librium, Xanax, Rophynol)
- Methylphenidates (Attention deficit disorder drugs such as Ritalin, Concerta and Attentin)
Penalty for Possession of Prescription Drugs in Alabama
Possessing prescription drugs without a valid prescription is a Class C felony in Alabama, with penalties of one to ten years in state prison and up to $15,000 in fines.If charged with illegal drug trafficking, which can carry three years to life in prison, depending on the amount. Because these are felonies, those convicted also face loss of their license, loss of right to vote or own a firearm, loss of job opportunities or professional licenses and other consequences.
Why Hire Ferguson & Ferguson
If you have been charged with illegal possession of prescription drugs in Huntsville, Decatur, Hartselle or Athens, Alabama, you need an experienced defense attorney. Make sure you do not talk to anyone until you have spoken with an attorney. Our attorneys have over 45 years of combined experience representing clients charged with criminal offenses. Our offices are conveniently located in downtown Decatur and Huntsville, Alabama. Contact us today for a free initial consultation at 256-534-3435 or 256-350-7200. Call now.