If you or a loved one is involved in a truck accident in Alabama, you need to know what to do to protect your rights. Trucking companies have attorneys and investigators on call in case of an accident. When you have had an accident with an eighteen wheeler, you need to immediately gather and preserve evidence against the trucking company.
Here is a list of some of the actions you should take after a truck accident. Understand, some of these actions cannot be performed if you have suffered a serious injury. If possible, make sure to do the following things to protect your rights.
- 1. Stop your vehicle as soon as possible. Never leave the scene of an accident without stopping. If possible make sure you are not parked in a danger zone where you could be hit again.
- 2. Call 911 or an ambulance if injured
- 3. Contact the local police department and report the trucking accident.
- 4. If you or one of your passengers is injured, immediately seek medical attention. In many situations you may not be aware of your injuries. Be sure to tell the doctor what happened during the accident and discuss all symptoms.
- 5. Do not attempt to talk with the truck driver regarding the accident or your injuries.
- 6. Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of all drivers, parties and witnesses at the accident scene. Also look for any videos that may be available of the accident scene.
- 7. Take photographs of the accident scene, tires, skid marks, property damage to the vehicles and your injuries. Take a picture of the trucks tag and USDOT number. If you are not injured, you should get a copy or picture of the other driver’s license, truck registration information, contact information, and insurance card. Take a picture of the truck and the drivers picture if possible.
- 8. Report the accident to your insurance company. Failure to notify the insurance company can result in a denial of coverage. Talk to your attorney before giving a written or recorded statement.
- 9. Do not argue with the police or driver regarding fault.
- 10. Get a copy of the police report.
- 11. Call an attorney before you talk to the other companies insurance adjuster.
- 12. Never automatically accept the first estimate or offer you get on your vehicle.
- 13. Keep a diary.
- 14. Finish all medical treatment and follow all doctors orders.
- 15. Keep copies of all receipts, wage information, accident reports and other documentation.
Hire an Attorney
If you or a loved one have been in a truck accident, you should contact a truck accident attorney as soon as possible. If you have been injured in a truck accident in Alabama, call today to get your free consultation with truck accident attorney Randy W. Ferguson. Call 256-534-3435 to discuss your case.