If you have been injured in a car accident in Huntsville, Decatur or Athens, Alabama, and it’s clearly the other driver’s fault, he or she should immediately report the accident to their insurance company. We are assuming of course that the other driver actually has auto insurance. Many drivers who have insurance will not notify their insurance company. People are often surprised to find out that the person responsible for an accident does not have insurance. Although Alabama law requires all drivers to maintain liability insurance, many drivers on the road in Alabama are still uninsured. Of the drivers that are insured, many are carrying the minimum coverage allowed by law in Alabama. When you are in an accident that is clearly not your fault, do not assume the other driver will notify their insurance company or that they have insurance or enough insurance to cover the accident.
If you are in an accident that is not your fault, immediately collect the following information:
- Stay calm. Do not yell at or argue with the other driver, even if you believe that the accident is completely the other driver’s fault.
- Check to see if anyone is injured. If you or the other driver is injured, help as much as you can until paramedics arrive.
- Call 911 immediately.
- Name, address, license number and telephone number of the other driver
- Insurance company name and policy number of the other driver (copy of insurance card)
- Witness statements and their contact information (if applicable)
- Photographs of the scene (including the license plate of the other driver) and the site of the damage
- Immediately file an accident report with the police, sheriff or highway patrol, if the agency has not done so at the scene.
- Obtain photographs of all vehicles involved (before repairing) and any visible injuries to the parties involved, such as cuts, bruises, and scars.
- Contact your insurance company ASAP. It’s important to report accidents as soon as you can. If the accident was not your fault, you should not have a hike in your insurance. Give them all the details of the accident and let them know that the accident was not your fault.
- Do not discuss the accident or your injuries with anyone, with the exception of your doctor and your attorney.
- Do not consent to a recorded statement or sign any document without first reviewing it with your attorney. Innocent statements made by you attempting to assist an insurance adjuster can easily be misinterpreted and used to deny or minimize your recovery.
- Immediately seek medical attention and tell your doctor the nature and extent of your pain and injury, and how the injury occurred.
- Track Your Expenses.
A strong claim clearly outlines the financial impact of your accident. Keep records of your:
- medical bills,
- mileage driven to doctors’ appointments,
- rental car expenses,
- time away from work,
- and any other expenses your accident has caused.
- Consider hiring an attorney. If you are injured, you will soon start receiving ambulance, hospital, radiology, ER physician and doctor bills. You also may be missing work. Even if you have health insurance, you may have trouble paying your medical expenses, mortgage and monthly bills. Consider hiring a local personal injury attorney who will help you deal with your auto damage and injury claim. Do not hire an attorney based on television commercials, billboards or radio ads. To find a personal injury lawyer near you: ask family or friends for referrals, search an online and read their reviews.
Why Hire Car Accident Attorneys Ferguson and Ferguson
The law offices of Ferguson and Ferguson takes pride in giving each car accident client individual and personal attention.
- We are not television attorneys who you will never meet.
- Our attorneys handle all cases, not secretaries and paralegals.
- We are local with offices in Decatur and Huntsville, Alabama.
- Knowledgeable about car accident cases.
- We are committed to excellent client service.
- We care about our clients, and have patience.
- Free office consultation as late as 7 p.m. and Saturdays also
- We answer all our clients calls, or return them promptly.
- We keep our clients informed of the status of their car accident case.
- We make sure that our clients understand each step of their case.
- We have great compassion for the physical, emotional, and financial problems that our clients suffered, and will do everything possible to get them through their difficult time.
If you have questions about a recent car accident, call now for your free no obligation consultation. Call 256-534-3435 or 256-350-7200. We can help.